This qualification is delivered in partnership with 1st 4 Sport Qualifications (Awarding Body) and gives an externally accredited Nationally recognised qualification (regulated by Ofqual). It is also the only Nationally Recognised Level 1 Qualification for the sport of Bowls in England and is wholly supported by Bowls England and EIBA Ltd.
The Level 1 is a vocationally related qualification that provides learners with an opportunity to study and be assessed on both the practical and theoretical aspects of coaching bowls to groups of beginner adults and children in an appropriate environment.
The knowledge gained from this award will enable learners to develop an understanding of safe, ethical and effective bowls coaching. It will also allow Level 1 Bowls coaches who are aged 18+ to independently deliver four taster sessions to beginners as part of the Play Bowls 4 Fun programme.
The course takes 2 days to complete including completion of a portfolio and an assessment and costs £130. Bursaries for coaches from Bowls England and EIBA Ltd affiliated clubs are available.
The topics covered on the course are:
• Introduction to the Roles and Responsibilities of the Level 1 Bowls Coaching Assistant and the role of a Participation Programme Facilitator
• Safeguarding and Protecting Children and Vulnerable adults
• Health, Safety, Accidents and emergencies
• Effective Communication. Coaching and Learning
• Planning and Evaluation Bowls Coaching sessions
• Coaching a Beginner
• Warm ups
• Working with the Jack
• Working with the bowl
• Introducing Basic shots
• Cool downs
Who is eligible to apply?
• Any club volunteer aged 15+ (16+ for certification).
• Any Level 1 coach from another sport who also has a background in Bowls can also apply for Recognition of Prior Learning to be eligible.
• Any current Level 1 Coach from all current accreditation schemes may choose to complete the BDA Level 1 qualification.
For more information or to book a place on this course please contact: